Simple Guide to Suing for Battery
At the Eisenberg Law Firm, we can help you if you have been the victim of battery. You have the right to sue for financial damages in civil court and, as an experienced personal injury attorney, we can build a strong case for why you deserve compensation.
Criminal vs. Civil Court
In the criminal case you can receive restitution as part of the criminal proceedings. Restitution covers out-of-pocket expenses, such as lost wages or medical expenses. It does not cover pain and suffering. If you want to receive compensation for pain and suffering or emotional distress, you need to sue the perpetrator of the battery in civil court.
You Can Sue Even if Criminal Charges Are Not Brought Against Them
If you were the victim of battery and want to see justice, you don’t have to wait for criminal charges to be filed against your assailant. You can hire an attorney and sue them in civil court right away.
Factors that Must Exist to Sue for Battery
- You must have been physically harmed.
- Your assailant must have intended to harm you.
- The harm needs to have resulted in medical expenses, financial loss, or injury.
We Can Review Your Case
As an attorney, we can assist you in determining whether or not you have a strong case and what the value of your claim maybe. Some of the things that we will review are –
- The nature of the crime or attack, along with the severity of it. For example, were you punched or attacked with a weapon?
- How you were injured and how have those injuries have impacted your life?
- What expenses you have had to pay as a result of your injuries. This can include your direct medical expenses along with the cost to hire someone to help you, attend therapy, have your home retrofitted, etc.
There are numerous factors that go into both proving and valuing your case. As your lawyer, we will work diligently to gather information and evidence in order to prove your case so that you can receive the compensation you deserve. For that, we will need you to provide us with as much information and background data as possible. We will need to speak with witnesses, your doctor, read the police report, etc. All of this information will be used to build a strong case for why you should be compensated.
Schedule a Consultation If You Have Been the Victim of Battery
To discuss your legal options or to receive help filing a civil lawsuit, call our office and schedule a free consultation.