Bike Accident Lawyer | Bike Accidents | Bike Injuries
Hit By a Vehicle? A Bike Accident Lawyer Can Help You Recover
Biking is a terrific way to get exercise and enjoy the pleasant days that come our way, but as any bike accident lawyer will tell you, it can be dangerous for bicyclists. Bike-vehicle accidents happen every day and they rarely turn out well for the one on the bike; the chances of serious injury are high even if you take safety precautions and obey the rules of the road.
There is no question that being involved in a bike accident is scary, but knowing what to do in this situation can help in recovery.
Steps To Take After a Vehicle-Bike Accident
If you are involved in a bicycle-car accident, stay calm and treat the accident just like you would a vehicle-vehicle accident. That means:
- Report the Accident to the Police. The first thing you want to do after any accident, including bike accidents, is contact the police. This will ensure a formal police report is on file and evidence, facts, and witness statements are collected right away. Ask for a copy of the report.
- Collect Witness Information. Witnesses play an important role in accident cases. If there are any witnesses to your accident, collect their names and contact information in case there is a need for their testimony in the future.
- Take Pictures. A picture is worth a thousand words. Photos can provide strong evidence in bicycle accident cases. If possible, take pictures at the scene before anything has been moved. Take long shots to depict the entire scene as well as close-up shots of damage, tire marks, and injuries. If you are too severely injured to take pictures, ask a bystander to do it for you.
- See a Doctor. Even if you feel well enough to go home, make time to see a doctor for a thorough check-up. This will help uncover hidden injuries that may manifest later and will serve as proof of injury if you decide to take your case to court or file an insurance claim. Most bicyclists will experience some sort of injury if they are hit by a car. Don’t delay visiting a doctor. Almost every bike accident lawyer has a story where an insurer tried to deny coverage because the injured bicyclist waited too long to see a doctor. They claimed the bicyclist must not have been injured too badly if they were able to wait so long to visit a doctor.
- Hire a Bicycle Accident Lawyer. If you are injured in a bike-vehicle accident, speak to a bike accident attorney to see if you have a case to file a claim. Even if you decide not to pursue the driver in court, a bike accident attorney can help you navigate insurance issues and make sure your legal rights are protected along the way. If you do have a case and it goes to trial, the same attorney can represent you in court, having full knowledge of your case.
Speak With a Bike Accident Lawyer For a Free Case Review
If were injured in a bicycle accident, contact Eisenberg Law Offices in Madison, WI. We offer free case consultations to help bicyclists recover damages after an accident. We can help you submit an insurance claim, file a lawsuit against the vehicle driver, or determine appropriate next steps.
Call our team at 608-256-8356 or email Info@eisenberglaw.org to arrange your free case consultation.