April is National Distracted Drivers Awareness Month
Thousands die each year due to distracted drivers, yet millions of Americans still drive while distracted by talking or texting on their cell phones. In Wisconsin, texting while driving is illegal, and talking on a cell phone in a construction zone is punishable with a fine. Although many individuals are aware that talking on a cell phone or texting while driving is dangerous, there are many other distractions that can occur, including:
- Smoking-related distractions (getting a cigarette out of the package, lighting the cigarette, disposing of the ashes)
- Pets or other moving objects in the vehicle (to avoid this distraction, secure all pets in a carrier, pet car seat, or crate while riding in the car)
- Using various controls in the car (GPS, cruise control, adjusting the mirrors, changing the station on the stereo)
- Adjusting heat/air conditioning
- Eating and drinking (at best, eating or drinking limits you to just one hand on the steering wheel)
- Passengers in the vehicle (talking to friends or children, handing toys or items back to children, looking in the backseat to monitor behavior, making eye contact with a passenger while talking)
- Outside events (it is critical to stay aware of your surroundings, but try to keep your vision on the road ahead of you the majority of the time – remember that rubbernecking is dangerous)
- Sleepy driving or driving while preoccupied (if you are struggling to remain focused on the road, find a safe place to pull over and rest)
The National Safety Council encourages all Americans to put aside their distractions while they drive. Distracted driving can result in accidents, injuries, and even death. And penalties for distracted driving and cell phone use, especially, continue to rise. As Madison personal injury attorneys, we have helped the victims of distracted driving. We have seen firsthand how distracted driving can cause grave injuries and can devastate families.
If you have been injured by a distracted driver, contact the Eisenberg Law Firm right away. Our experienced Wisconsin car accident attorneys will work diligently to get you the compensation you deserve.